Sunday, April 27, 2014

Runner Spotlights #84

How has everyone's weekend been? Mine has been fun! We went to Five Rivers Delta yesterday and the boys got to learn all kinds of things about the outdoors! They loved it! While they were doing boy things I got to visit with Paige! :-)

Now it's time for another runner spotlight...my favorite time of the week! I love reading other runners' stories about their running journey! If you are interested in being spotlighted on my blog please email me at mindy@roadrunnergirl.com! I'd love to spotlight you! You don't have to have a blog to be spotlighted...you just have to be a runner! ;-) And I'm running low on spotlights so now's your time to shine!!!

Today I'm spotlighting Denise from Healthy Disney Family! I love that she loves runDisney races like me! And I love that she loves Disney like me! ;-) Keep reading to learn more about her and her running journey!


Name: Denise Laird
State: Oregon

When and why did you start running? 
I started running when I was in 5th grade at my school’s running club. I ran of and on for years but didn’t
stick with it. I picked it up again when I needed to lose 100 pounds after having my son. On Labor Day 2011, we went to Disneyland during Disneyland Half weekend. I didn’t know Disney had races! It was so awesome to see the runners with their hard earned bling at the parks. They were just glowing
with happiness! I was around 197 lbs at the time and thought it could be a great way to lose the rest of the weight and reach a huge goal of running my first Half. When I came home, I researched and found Jef Galloway’s run/walk program. I tried it and was hooked! I have gone on to do two Half and two Full marathons using the Galloway method.

What is your favorite race and race distance? 
Definitely the 2013 Tinker Bell Half Marathon at Disneyland! It was my first Half and my big goal race.
I love that 13.1 distance. It’s far enough to feel like I worked hard and the recovery is quick.

What is your race day routine? 
I keep it simple. I have 1/2 a banana with peanut butter, a small cup of oatmeal and a mug of coffee with 2% milk. I leave the house or hotel with extra time in case of something unforeseen. Fill up the bottles in my hydration pack with either Nuun U or Ultima Refresher.

What is your most favorite piece of running gear? 
My Mizuno Wave Inspire 9’s are wonderful. I have three pairs that I rotate between. I have some
overpronation issues and they really help me stay corrected.

Do you follow any diet or take any specific supplements that complement your running? 
When I was morbidly obese I talked to my doctor and he recommended 80/20 eating to me. 80% of the time I eat whole, unprocessed or homemade foods. The other 20% is flexible. Moderation
works for me and helped me lose and keep off over 100 pounds.

What do you wish you’d known when you first started running? 
How life changing it would be and how much joy, stress relief, and accomplishment I’d feel once I stayed consistent.

What is your fondest running memory? 
Seeing my husband and son at mile 25 during the 2013 Portland Marathon. My husband took this pic of me
kissing my son and it captured all of the emotions of why I ran and lost the weight - to be a healthier, happier person, wife, and better mom for him. 


What is one thing that most people do not know about you? 
In my 20’s I saved my money for over a year, quit my job and went on a two month solo backpacking trip to Europe. Super eye opening and jaw dropping to see historical cities and landmarks firsthand, not to mention experience the warmth and kindness of strangers in different countries.

Here are all the different ways you can connect with Denise!


Thanks so much for sharing with us Denise!!!

QOTD: What did you do this weekend?

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...