Most of my runs I run for me. I run because of the way it makes me feel. I run to stay healthy. I run to be a healthy role model for my two boys. I run because I love it.
The same goes for racing. I race because I love it. I race because I like being competitive (even though I never win). I race for the shirt. I race for the bling. I race for the excitement. I race as an excuse to travel.
But all of these reasons are selfish. They are all about me. This time...I'm going to run for a reason. This time...I'm going to run for the children at St. Jude. This time...I'm going to run for Eli...my cousin's son who is a cancer survivor.
Eli...isn't he precious?
I have committed to raising funds as a St. Jude Hero to support St. Jude's lifesaving mission of finding cures and saving children. I need your support to help me reach my fundraising goal for the kids of St. Jude.
It costs $1.8 million a day to operate St. Jude. Did you know that 70% of the funds come from the public? That means your donation, no matter what the size, will help!
How your donation helps:
- Thanks to donors like you, no family ever pays St. Jude for anything, including lodging, food and travel.
- St. Jude will continue to improve treatment of childhood cancer and other deadly diseases through it's groundbreaking research.
- For every child treated at St. Jude, thousands more have been saved worldwide through St. Jude discoveries.
Every Dollar Counts
Every dollar donated to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital counts! Take a look at some of the possibilities that your donations could provide to the kids and families of St. Jude.
- Infant Care Supplies for 10 Babies: $50 These supplies help parents and nurses care for babies in treatment and include items like diapers, baby bottles, sippy cups, pacifiers, footies and heel warmers.
- Wagon: $70 Wagons can make traveling through the halls of St. Jude easier for parents and more fun for a young child.
- Parties to celebrate birthdays, holidays and “coming off chemo”: $75 St. Jude provides parties, decorations, cakes and more to keep spirits high during the holidays and to celebrate special occasions like birthdays and a child’s completion of chemotherapy treatment.
- Creative Toys: $100 Play is an essential part of every child’s life, and it’s important for the children to have fun as often as possible. At St. Jude, colorful, toy-filled play areas are just as plentiful as exam rooms.
- Delicious Meals: $210 St. Jude provides meal cards so that patients and families can enjoy the comfort and convenience of good, nutritious meals in the Kay Kafe, our cafeteria.
- One Day of Oxygen: $447 Oxygen is key to keeping the immune system strong. A gift of oxygen can help a young body thrive and help fight cancer at the cellular level.
- Child-sized Wheelchairs: $700 These special wheelchairs help children move easily through St. Jude.
- Airfare for a parent and child: $1,000 average For a patient referred to St. Jude, the hospital covers the cost of airfare for a child and one parent or guardian.
Childhood cancer is a cause near and dear to my heart. I want to do as much as I can to help in finding a cure. What better way to help than to run for St. Jude? Please help me do this by donating to my fundraising efforts.
Thank you for your support!
QOTD: Do you run for a reason?